The Notice will provide our job applicants ("you" or "your") general information on the processing of personal data by Canon, as well as the rights that you have under data protection law. In this Notice, we refer to this type of information as "Recruitment Data". Please read this Notice carefully prior to providing your personal data to Canon
"Canon" means Canon Europa N.V and any of its subsidiaries and affiliates, as existing from time to time. Canon is also referred to in this Notice as "we", "us" or "our".
Collection of personal data
We collect Recruitment Data to manage our resourcing, recruitment activities as well as for organisational planning purposes. Consequently, some examples of the information we may collect from you include:
- Application information: This information will generally tell us who you are and help build a picture of your capabilities and suitability for certain positions. This type of information may include your name, address, telephone number, email address, other contact information and your preferred ways to be contacted. This information may also include information contained in your cover letter, CV/resume (e.g. professional qualifications, previous work experience, education level, competences and skills, current base compensation, additional bonuses and/or commission and personal interests and experiences), information contained in your social media accounts or personal websites or accounts (e.g. LinkedIn or Twitter), how you heard about the position, information about the type of work and projects you have been involved with and any other information you may wish to provide to us as part of your application.
- Recruitment process information: This is information collected as a result of the recruitment process, such as your performance at assessment centres or interview and information provided by your referees.
- Future opportunities information: This is information collected in order to keep in touch with you about future job opportunities at Canon, such as your name, email, LinkedIn profile, location, field of expertise and the kind of role you are interested in. You can opt-out of this database during your application if you wish.
- Log-in and password and other such information used in connection with authenticating you.
Canon may also conduct background checks and assessments from third parties and store information from those during the recruitment process ("Pre Employment Checks"). Personal data about criminal convictions or medical information will only be sought where permitted by applicable law.
If you intend to provide us with details of a reference or any other third party as part of your CV/ resume, it is your responsibility to ensure that the third party is happy for us to receive their information. By submitting such data Canon will assume that you have done so.
We will indicate where the information we have requested is mandatory or optional. We will also explain the consequences should you decide not to provide information which we have indicated is mandatory. In some circumstances this may mean we are unable to process your application.
Use of personal data
We use this information for the evaluation and selection of candidates. Typical examples of use include;
- supporting and processing your application, for example, so we can assess your ability to meet the specification, to shortlist candidates and to verify references and professional qualifications provided by applicants;
- setting up and conducting interviews and tests;
- managing our on-site security, for example to ensure that our premises, assets, information, employees and other personnel are secure;
- evaluating and assessing the results of interviews and tests; and
- as is otherwise needed in the recruitment processes, including the final recruitment.
We may also use Recruitment Data for legal and regulatory compliance, for example to ensure compliance with health & safety requirements and other legal or fiscal obligations, or in connection with litigation or an internal investigation or audit and to ensure compliance with our policies regarding anti-money laundering, bribery and corruption, as well as equal opportunities monitoring.
Whenever we verify Recruitment Data provided to us during the recruitment process as part of Pre Employment Checks, you will be told in advance which aspects of your Recruitment Data will be verified including an explanation of how the Pre-Employment Checks will be carried out, and information about criminal convictions (if collected) or medical information will only be collected through official authorised sources and in accordance with applicable law.
We will only process your Recruitment Data where we have a legal basis for doing so. Generally, we will be processing it to help us to decide whether to enter into a contract of employment with you. At other times, we will be processing your Recruitment Data because you have consented to us doing so, in which case you can withdraw such consent at any point.
We may also process your Recruitment Data to comply with our legal obligations or because it is in our legitimate business interests to do so (for example, where it is necessary to understand our applicants in sufficient detail so we can operate an effective recruitment process).
Disclosures of personal data
(a) Within Canon
We restrict access to Recruitment Data to people within our group of companies who have a "need to know" such information. For example, certain individuals within Canon will have access to your Recruitment Data in order to process your application and manage the recruitment process (this may include individuals in our Human Resources team and individuals to whom you would report if your application is successful).
(b) Outside Canon
Canon works with third parties who provide services to us. For example, we may share your Recruitment Data with such service providers to host our online recruitment platform, and to conduct screening and verification of your application and the information you have provided to us. This includes verifying academic and professional qualifications. Generally, we will only disclose your Recruitment Data to our suppliers and other third parties in the following circumstances:
- when required to do so by law;
- in response to a legitimate request for assistance by the police or other law enforcement agency (including law enforcement agencies in the countries Canon or its subcontractors and agents operate, as well as in the countries through which your personal data has been transferred according to this Notice); and/or
- to seek legal advice from our external lawyers or in connection with litigation with a third party.
Canon will take appropriate technical, organisational and legal steps to secure your personal data.
Storing your personal data
Canon is a global organisation that has affiliates, business processes, management structures, and technical systems that cross national borders. Therefore, Canon may use resources and servers located in various countries across EMEA region. Accordingly, your personal data may be transferred and processed outside the country where you use a Canon website or otherwise provide Canon with your personal data. This includes countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) that do not have laws that provide specific protection for personal data.
Whenever we transfer your Recruitment Data outside of the EEA or the UK, we will take legally required steps to ensure that adequate safeguards are in place to protect your Recruitment Data and to make sure it is treated securely and in accordance with this Notice. If you are located in the EEA or the UK, you may contact us for a copy of the safeguards which we have put in place to protect your Recruitment Data and privacy rights in these circumstances.
Retaining your personal data
We keep your Recruitment Data in accordance with our internal retention policies and procedures. Canon will keep your personal data for 12 months from the date of submission or the latest update of your details /account information. However, if you decide that you do not wish to be considered for further roles, then you can select this option during the application process and, at the conclusion of the process, we will delete your information instead. After 12 months from the submission or the latest update of your profile, your personal data will be anonymised and will not be accessible for viewing or tracking. Prior to the anonymising process Canon may send you a reminder to give you an option to keep your data in our talent pool. If you wish to keep your personal data in our talent pool after the above period you can simply response to the sent reminder and Canon may keep your data for an additional 12 months period.
If you are successful in the Canon recruitment process and become an employee, your personal data may become a part of your employee file, may be used for other employment/work-related purposes and may be kept in Canon’s talent pool for possible future roles. Your personal data may also be subject to further additional privacy terms related to Canon employees.
As an individual about whom Canon processes personal data you may have the right to request access to, rectification or erasure of, the Recruitment Data we hold about you. You may also have the right to object to or restrict certain types of processing of your Recruitment Data and request to receive a machine-readable copy of the Recruitment Data you have provided to us.
If you notice an error in your application that you would like to correct, please update this in our online system or contact us using the contact information below.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us using the details provided in the section below. Any request to exercise one of these rights will be assessed by us on a case by case basis. There may be circumstances in which we are not legally required to comply with your request or because of relevant legal exemptions provided for in applicable data protection legislation.
If you have concerns about the way in which we have handled your Recruitment Data we ask that you contact us in the first instance. If you are still dissatisfied, you have the right to complain to your Data Protection Authority.
We may delete your personal information at any time (including your CV), without any notice. Therefore, you should retain your own copy of the personal information provided to us.
Canon is committed to protect your personal data in accordance with relevant data protection and privacy laws. In matters relating to this Notice, you may contact Canon’s Data Protection Officer at DataProtectionOfficer@canon-europe.com. You may also contact Canon Europe Ltd. at the following address:
Canon Europe Ltd,
3 The Square, Stockley Park,
Updates to this notice
We may change this Notice from time to time in order to reflect changes in the law, regulatory guidance or our data privacy practices in compliance with the law. When this happens and where required by law, we will provide you with a new or an updated notice detailing how the use of your Recruitment Data is changing, including what, if anything, you need to do.
This Notice was last updated on 26th April 2018